Ju Lien commenced her legal practice in the Attorney General’s Chambers of Malaysia under the international affairs advisory division, prior to joining private practice in 2013. Her areas of practice are mergers & acquisitions, corporate commercial, regulatory and employment.
She has acted for several local and international clients across multiple industry space namely power & energy, property and infrastructure, consumer & retail, insurance, and telecommunications.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for a Chinese state-owned insurance company in the proposed acquisition of a minority interest in a general insurance operator in Malaysia.
- Acted for a Korean conglomerate’s logistics arm in its acquisition of a courier business from a logistics and supply chain group in Malaysia.
- Acted for a Singapore based company engaged in various agricultural business in Malaysia over 90 years in its proposed divestment in a joint venture company in Sarawak, which manages palm oil estates.
- Acted for a US-based private equity firm in its acquisition of tire additives manufacturing business in Malaysia, as part of its global acquisition of the said segment from a NYSE-listed company manufacturing and distributing various global specialty materials (chemicals).
- Acted for Bloyalty Sdn. Bhd. (a Berjaya Corporation Berhad subsidiary) in its investment in Mednefits Pte. Ltd, a Singapore-based company operating an employee benefits platform under the brand ‘Mednefits’.
- Acted for a Chinese leading electronics manufacturing and telecommunication technology company in the acquisition of a controlling stake of a Dutch semiconductor manufacturing business and subsequently for a proposed issuance of convertible bonds on the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
- Acted for an American global food processing corporation in its bid for acquisition of an animal nutrition and livestock breeding business located in Asia Pacific.
- Acted for a Singapore general insurance company in its proposed acquisition of a majority interest in a general insurance business in Malaysia.
- Acted for Quesscorp Holdings Pte. Ltd in its acquisition of an online career and recruitment platform, Monster.
- Acted for a Malaysian network facilities provider in the proposed acquisition of telecommunication tower assets.
Joint Ventures and Investments
- Acted for Ireka Corporation Berhad in its joint venture with CRRC Urban Traffic (Europe) Co Ltd to explore transportation business opportunities in Malaysia and the South-East Asian region.
- Acted for Ireka Corporation Berhad in its joint venture with Hankyu Hanshin Properties Corp. for the development of real properties in Nilai.
- Acted for a Korean financial services company in its investment into a private capital syndication platform based in Singapore.
Telecommunications and Technology
- Acted for BLoyalty Pte Ltd in its collaboration with Wirecard Singapore Pte. Ltd for the development of a loyal management system and mobile application.
- Acted for Celcom Networks Sdn Bhd in the tender for turnkey contract to provide operation support services (OSS) solution.
- Advised clients on industrial relations and employment issues covering retrenchment, dismissal of employees and mutual separation arrangements.
- Assisted clients in domestic inquiries relating to misconducts.
- Advised clients on compliance with anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws of Malaysia, including training of board of directors and management officers.
- Advised in the restructuring of an institute for banks in Malaysia in its transformation to a professional body.
- Advised and reviewed agreements for a Singapore debt venture firm in its provision of guarantee to a Malaysian company.
- Advised a Cyprus based operator of an online trading platform for contracts for differences in respect of a compliance and regulatory survey on their proposed establishment of a regional customer services centre in Malaysia to provide services to clients involved in the trading of contracts for differences.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Contributed an article to the Sun (Legally Speaking Column) entitled “The Dynamics of Venture Capital” published in June 2017.
- Contributed to Chartered Secretaries Malaysia’s (MAICSA) Corporate Vo!ce (July-Sept issue) entitled “Transfer of Shares in Private Companies – Pre & Post Companies Act 2016”.