Jun Chin is a Partner in the M&A and TMT practice groups. Her areas of practice are private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate and commercial law.
She has advised private equity funds, listed and non-listed companies and individual shareholders on their acquisitions and disposals across various industries, on both buy-side and sell-side mandates and has significant experience advising on acquisitions in the technology and telecommunications sectors.
Jun Chin is ranked by Legal 500 as a corporate and M&A practitioner and is commended by clients as having “technical competence and attention to detail” (Legal 500 2021).
Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised a global private equity on its acquisition of its majority stake in a leading asset management group in Malaysia.
- Advised a telecommunications operator listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia on its acquisition of 100% shareholding in another telecommunications operator also listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia in exchange for cash and shares.
- Advised a telecommunications operator listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia on the acquisition of 100% shareholding in a managed network services provider that was listed on the LEAP Market of Bursa Malaysia.
- Advised an Australian financial services group on its bid to acquire a stake in a leading waste valorisation company in Malaysia.
- Advised a Singapore-based data center company on its bid to acquire a majority stake in one of the largest data center operators in Malaysia.
- Advised a private equity fund on its acquisition of a minority stake in a leading money services business and digital services business provider.
- Advised a private equity fund on its proposed acquisition of a minority stake in a Malaysian dairy company.
- Advised a joint venture company comprising a Main Market Listed Company and a private family-owned vehicle, on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in a group of companies involved in oleochemicals.
- Advised a Thai public listed company on its acquisition of a majority stake in a plastic packaging manufacturer in Malaysia.
- Advised a Japanese conglomerate on its acquisition of a Singapore headquartered healthcare group with operations in Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
- Advised the shareholders of one of the largest biscuit manufacturers in Malaysia with operations in Malaysia, Indonesia and China on its sale of the entire stake in the company to a global private equity fund.
- Advised the shareholders of several pharmaceutical and healthcare companies on the sale of the companies and its subsidiaries via a competitive bid process.
- Advised a global gas and services company on its proposed acquisition of the entire stake in a subsidiary of a company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia.
- Advised a public transportation service provider in Malaysia on its proposed joint venture with a Singapore company to jointly operate a rapid transit system link from Johor Bahru to Singapore.
Telecommunications and Technology
- Advised an American multinational technology company on the Malaysian regulatory and licensing aspects of its global rollout of a calling plan feature which would interconnect VOIP calls to PSTN telephone networks.
- Advised an American social media company on the regulatory framework and licensing requirements surrounding various services and telecommunications infrastructure, including OTT services, POPs, terrestrial fiber and submarine cables.
- Advised a German manufacturing company on the regulatory framework and licensing requirements surrounding its global launch of a communications solution.
- Advised an American multinational GPS technology company on the regulatory framework and licensing requirements in respect of its new LTE connected smartwatch.
- Advised a telecommunications operator listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia on its collaboration arrangement with the largest content provider in Malaysia.
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, Lincoln’s Inn (non-practising)
- Author, “Is there room for reasonableness in a restraint of trade restriction?”, published in The Sun (Malaysia) in January 2018.
- Contributing Editor in the Guide to Doing Business in Malaysia published by Christopher & Lee Ong in June 2020.