Kelvin was called to the Bar of England and Wales, UK in 2007 and the Malaysian Bar in 2008, and has since been practising in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions, Capital Markets, Foreign Investment, Employment and Corporate and Commercial Advisory.
He has advised many companies in a wide array of sectors on acquisitions and disposals of shares and assets, particularly those with a cross border element. Kelvin currently also regularly advises multinational companies on their proposed investments and entry into Malaysia including advising on corporate structures, shareholders’ participation and joint ventures, asset acquisition, fund raising, regulatory and licensing, investment incentives, exchange control, employment matters, acquisition, tenancy, lease and development of real estate, franchise advisory, loan financing, corporate governance and corporate and commercial advice.
Mergers & Acquisitions / Foreign Investment
- Acted for certain Indonesian high networth individual vendors in relation to their disposal of 90% of the issued shares in Big Apple Worldwide Holdings Sdn. Bhd. to Duskin Co., Ltd. a company incorporated in Japan and listed in the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Big Apple operates a successful doughnut chain in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian Counsel for Bain Capital Private Equity in relation to its acquisition of a majority stake in Asia Pacific Medical Group, a leading private hospital group in China with interest in certain clinics in Malaysia. The transaction value is estimated at USD 150 million.
- Advised Zhiyuan International Investment and Holding Group (Hong Kong) Co. Limited in its proposed investment in Perwaja Holdings Berhad for the restructuring and regularisation of the Perwaja Group at a transaction value of RM1.8 billion.
- Acted for ISEC Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Singapore Exchange listed ISEC Healthcare Ltd, in relation to is proposed acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Southern Specialist Eye Centre Sdn Bhd in a deal worth RM37.1 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for a Chinese conglomerate in its acquisition of the operator of a world-wide famed triathlon race series. The global deal value is approximately USD650 million.
- Acted for Arenga Pinnata Sdn Bhd (a subsidiary of Creador II LLC, a private equity firm) in the acquisition of shares and takeover of Bursa Malaysia-listed Masterskill Education Group Berhad, for an aggregate consideration of approximately RM246 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for CITIC Environment Protection Co. Ltd in its proposed acquisition of Singapore Exchange listed clean technology services company, United Envirotech Ltd. The CITIC group is one of the largest conglomerates in China. The pre-conditional voluntary offer is valued at SGD1.9 billion.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Suzhou Anjie Technology, a Shenzhen-listed manufacturer of insulation and cushioning materials for the consumer electronic industry, in relation to its proposed acquisition of the Seksun Group (a leading precision metals engineering solutions provider). The global transaction size is USD145 million.
- Acted for Creed Group in its proposed acquisition of a majority shareholding in Sunsuria Medini Sdn Bhd, a property development company in Malaysia with land interests in the Iskandar Development Region and which lands are subsequently injected into Sunsuria Bhd. The deal value is approximately RM200 million.
- Advised AusGroup Ltd, a company listed in the Singapore Stock Exchange in its demerger and reverse take-over via a SGD210 million acquisition of a property developer located in Iskandar region in Malaysia.
- Acted for Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group SpA in its acquisition of the Boncafé group, a leader in the sale of gourmet coffee and coffee machine equipment in Southeast Asia and the Middle East. The aggregate value of the deal is RM280 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for an affiliate of Reuben Brothers on the acquisition of Metro International Trade Services LLC. Metro is the owner and operator of Goldman Sachs' global metals warehousing business with operations worldwide including Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for a subsidiary of SGX Catalist listed Teho International Inc Ltd in relation to its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of ECG Property Services Pte Ltd as well as 35% of the beneficial ownership of ECG Affirm Holdings Sdn Bhd, a real estate agency in Malaysia, for an aggregate consideration of SGD17 million.
- Advised Surbana International Consultants, a Singapore Temasek controlled entity, in relation to its proposed acquisition of 100% of the issued shares of KTP Consultants Pte Ltd, Singapore and its related entity in Malaysia providing engineering consultancy services.
- Acted for HL Global Enterprises Limited in relation to its subsidiary’s acquisition of all the remaining issued shares of Augustland Hotel Sdn Bhd (the owner of Copthorne Hotel Cameron Highlands) for RM16.5 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Tiger Global Management LLC, a global venture capital firm, in conducting legal due diligence on MyTeksi (a Malaysian subsidiary of Grabtaxi Holdings Pte Ltd) in relation to an equity fund raising exercise. Fund raised is approximately USD65 million.
- Advised Hwa Hong Corporation Limited in relation to the disposal of its entire shareholding interest in its Malaysian property developer subsidiary in a deal worth RM17 million.
- Advised Home Product Centre (HomePro), a home improvement retailer listed on the Thai stock exchange in relation to its proposed investment in Malaysia. Investment value is approximately RM50 million.
- Advised Mitsui & Co Ltd in its acquisition of 19.9% of the issued shares of Medini Iskandar Malaysia Sdn Bhd, the master developer of the Medini Iskandar development region in Malaysia in a deal worth RM367 million.
- Advised Itochu Techno-Solutions Corporation in respect of its acquisition of enterprise solutions and integration business of the CSC Group in Singapore and Malaysia in a deal worth RM270 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Mitsui & Co Ltd in relation to its investment in Malaysia through its affiliate, KMB DL Investment Singapore Pte Ltd, by way of a joint venture with Longson Food Products to manufacture and sell processed tomato products. Investment value is approximately RM9.1 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Vouvray Group in its acquisition of the issued shares of Core-IRM Pte Ltd, a Singapore based offshore inspection and maintenance company with operations in Malaysia.
- Acted for a Singapore public listed real estate developer in relation to its proposed acquisition of 47% of the issued shares of a Malaysian real estate holding company.
- Advised Mitsui & Co Ltd on Malaysian law in respect of its acquisition of 19% of the issued shares of the holding company of UE Managed Solutions Pte Ltd in a deal worth RM10 million.
- Advised the Rosti Group in respect of its entry into South East Asia and the setting up its manufacturing plant and operations in Johor. Investment value is approximately RM80 million.
- Acted for Kaya Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Marico Kaya Enterprises Ltd, in its disposal of all its interest in its Malaysian subsidiary, a provider aesthetic and skincare solutions, to KV Asia as part of a regional divestment exercise.
- Advised an Indian oil and gas multinational company in relation to its bid for the oil and gas assets owned by Newfield International Holdings, Inc. in Malaysia.
- Advised a top 5 cleaning services and facilities management company in the UK in respect of its acquisition of a cleaning services company in Malaysia in a deal worth RM24 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Danone, one of Europe’s largest food company, in the conduct of a legal due diligence exercise on a Malaysian subsidiary of the Wyeth Group in connection with Danone’s bid for the infant formula unit of the world’s largest drug maker, Pfizer.
- Advised a Malaysian retailer of luxury watches in relation to the disposal of its entire business assets to a leading Singaporean luxury watch distributor and retailer.
- Advised a high networth individual in Malaysia on the disposal of his entire shareholding interest in the holding company of four international graded hotels in Malaysia in a deal valued at RM88 million.
IPO and Capital Markets
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in respect of the proposed listing of the Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group in the Italian Stock Exchange in Milan on 3 June 2015. The listing was expected to raise EUR200 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised on EuroSports Global Limited’s initial public offering in the Singapore Exchange’s Catalist board with an offer size of 80 million shares valued at SGD 22.4 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised on Gaylin Holdings Limited’s initial public offering in the Singapore Exchange’s Main board which raised approximately SGD38.5 million. Gaylin Holdings Limited was listed on 23 October 2012.
- Advised KNM Group Berhad on a renounceable two call rights issue of 488,920,659 ordinary shares to raise RM196 million for its business.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised on Malaysian law in various other IPO and listing exercises involving companies seeking to list in the Singapore stock exchange.
Banking & Finance
- Advised on a RM7.5 million term loan cum overdraft facility granted by AmBank (M) Bhd to a subsidiary of a property developer for the construction of a health spa and as working capital.
- Advised a property developer on a RM45 million term loan facility from United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd used for the refinancing of its property development project in Kuala Lumpur.
- Advised a mid-sized local property developer on the development of a commercial cum retail development in Kuala Lumpur. The legal work for the development include advice rendered on the acquisition, amalgamation and subdivision of land for the development, establishment of subsidiaries, licensing and regulatory aspect, project management, financing, sale and purchase of office suites, leases and tenancies of anchor tenants, retail tenancies, franchising, property management, supply of goods, services and utilities services, licensing of trademarks, corporate governance and general advisory. Gross development value in excess of RM500 million.
- Acted for a foreign owned property development company in relation to the acquisition of a shopping mall in Johor for RM20 million the purposes of redevelopment.
- Advised a subsidiary of a public company previously listed on the Singapore stock exchange in relation to the disposal of its land and factory in Johor for RM12 million.
- Acted for a wholly owned subsidiary of a public listed company in Malaysia in relation to its acquisition of 8.23 acres of land in Pulau Pinang for a consideration of RM8.6 million.
- Malaysian Bar (2008)
- Bar of England & Wales (2007)
- Lincoln’s Inn (London, UK) (2006)
- Author. “Barriers on Foreign Participation in Distributive Trade in Malaysia”. The Sun Daily, pp.16. (October 7, 2014).