Yi Li has practised as a foreign lawyer specialising in cross border M&A transactions and private equity fund matters in Singapore before resuming her practice in Malaysia. She currently handles M&A transactions with a special focus on ethics and integrity matters.
She advises her clients in navigating red-tape and regulatory requirements in her M&A transactions, and is regularly called upon to assist clients to comply with anti-bribery and anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, whistleblower’s protection, human rights, sustainability and fair labour rights laws.
She designs compliance programmes including policies, processes and best practices according to each client’s corporate culture and ecosystem. Her experience further extends to investigations, in particular relating to audit inquiries, bribery and corruption, fraud and money laundering.
She is also part of the Firm’s sustainability practice, which encompasses the ESG factors (Environment, Social and Governance) and is involved in combatting fraud and financial crimes, crisis management and instilling good corporate governance behaviour under the governance limb.
Some of her recent experience is listed below:
- Assisted a Fortune 500 oil & gas company in developing a compliance program covering bribery & corruption, money laundering and human rights issues and the subsequent global roll out and implementation
- Assisted major developers, manufacturers and public bodies in the country in developing anti-bribery compliance framework and rolling out adequate control measures for compliance with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009
- Assisted MNCs with Malaysian subsidiaries in the aviation industry, MLM industry and O&G industry in developing local anti-bribery compliance framework and synching the same with their global frameworks
- Designed whistleblowing systems, client onboarding KYC systems & enterprise risk management systems for clients in various industries; provided training for Board and employees on bribery compliance
- Assisted in the incorporation of China Construction Bank (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd and advised on banking regulatory compliance issues
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch on banking regulatory compliance issues
- Advised an international payment systems provider on banking regulatory matters and on rolling out new banking products in Malaysia
- Advised several local conglomerates on compliance with personal data requirements and privacy issues
Fraud & Investigations
- Assisted a Japanese F&B conglomerate in investigating its Malaysian subsidiaries for accounting fraud
- Assisted a Malaysian conglomerate in investigating its previous Board for fraud, criminal breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duties in several cross border investments
TMT / Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised on the joint venture of a leading European telecommunications company with a local player to provide mobile virtual network operator services
- Led a billion dollar cross border IT transformation programme for the biggest bank in Malaysia
- Advised on the roll-out of telco-related services nationwide for a leading telco market player in Asia
- Acted for a home grown leading media and advertising firm in the divestment of a majority stake to Dentsu Aegis, Japan
- Acted for a Singapore bank in relation to a merger and consolidation of brokerage firms with a total market capitalisation of USD200 million in Malaysia
- Acted for a Thai conglomerate in a USD200 million deal on acquiring prime land and subsequent development and financing of a mall in Malaysia
- Acted for regional private equity funds in cross border acquisition of companies in the manufacturing sector and F&B sector
- Acted for SOXAL, one of the biggest gas manufacturing group headquartered in France in its acquisition of a local gas manufacturing business and real estate
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, Inner Temple (non-practising)
- Author, Malaysian Chapter of Rajah & Tann’s Regional Quick Anti- Corruption Guide (URL: https://eoasis.rajahtann.com/eoasis/lu/pdf/2020-06_Regional-Guide_A-Quick-Anti-Corruption-Guide_FINALv2.pdf)
- Author, Chapter on “Corruption & Money Laundering” in the Doing Business in Malaysia Guide (URL: https://www.christopherleeong.com/media/3207/clo_doing-business-in-malaysia-2019-final-_20190115.pdf)