Looi Zhi Min advises on a wide range of crucial business decisions, including mergers and acquisitions (both private and public), joint ventures, offerings of securities, regulatory compliance as well as general corporate and securities law matters.
His experience spans across all aspects of a transaction, including legal drafting, negotiations and helping clients to navigate the web of regulatory challenges. He has also coordinated numerous multi-jurisdictional assignments and has a particular interest in advising investors in their investments in Malaysia.
Zhi Min has advised a broad range of companies across several key sectors, including heavy and light manufacturing, logistics and transportation, healthcare, retail trade, digital services and financial institution clients.
Selected project experience
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for SH Cogent Logistics Pte Ltd, indirect wholly owned subsidiary of SGX-listed COSCO Shipping International (Singapore) Co., Ltd, in its acquisition of an 80% interest in three subsidiaries of Complete Logistic Services Berhad which are involved in logistics and warehousing businesses.
- Acted for Singapore-based Esteel Enterprise Pte. Ltd. in its acquisition of a 100% interest in Antara Steel Mills Sdn. Bhd. from Lion Industries Corporation Berhad.
- Advised Delfortgroup AG (Delfort), a multinational paper manufacturer of Austrian origin in its acquisition of a stake in the Malaysian subsidiary of the Benkert group of companies, which is in the business of producing tipping papers for cigarettes.
- Advised Trescal SA, a leading international specialist in calibration services in relation to its projects in Malaysia.
- Advised a U.S.-headquartered private equity firm, in its acquisition of a 100% stake in one of the leading providers of pathology laboratory services in Malaysia, as part of its expansion in the Southeast Asia region.
- Acted for Regent Wise Investments Limited, a subsidiary of Philippines conglomerate, Ayala Land Inc, in its acquisition of 17.24% equity stake in Bursa Malaysia listed, MCT Berhad, from a major shareholder for RM 202.5 million which triggered a mandatory take-over offer requirement under the Takeovers Code to acquire all the remaining ordinary shares in MCT Berhad.
- Acted for China Vanke, a leading residential real estate developer in the People's Republic of China, listed both on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange and Hong Kong Stock Exchange in its joint venture with a local partner and in its subsidiary’s acquisition of a 7.4-acre prime tract of land from a liquidator for a value of approximately RM 500 million.
- Acted for a regional next generation cloud, data centres, e-commerce and marketplace group of companies in their proposed acquisition of a network facilities provider in Malaysia.
- Represented a multi-national insurance group of European origin on its RM356 million acquisition of 49% of the issued share capital of a Malaysian insurance company. This acquisition marks the client’s maiden entrance into the Malaysian insurance industry.
- Acted for Mustika Manis Sdn. Bhd. in respect of a mandatory take-over offer to acquire all the remaining ordinary shares in Johan Holdings Berhad not already owned by Mustika Manis and its persons acting in concert. Johan Holdings and its subsidiaries are involved in a spectrum of activities relating to Diners Club charge and credit cards, travel and tours, property development and a hotel.
Capital Markets and Corporate Finance
- Acted for a subsidiary of a global Fortune 500 F&B company in its application to the Securities Commission Malaysia for an exemption from its obligation to make a mandatory offer.
- Acted as the Malaysian counsel to the issuer, which operates in the luxury lifestyle, wellness and manufacturing sectors across Singapore, Malaysia and the People’s Republic of China, in connection with the issuer’s proposed IPO and listing on The Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (SEHK).
- Acted as the Malaysian counsel to the issuer, which engages in digital content business in Malaysia, Indonesia and Cambodia, in connection with its proposed listing on the SEHK.
- Advised a Bursa Malaysia-listed public company in the property development sector in respect of its joint venture exercise in developing a parcel of land in the Petaling district, Selangor.
- Acted as the Malaysian counsel to a Singapore-headquartered beauty company with its listing and IPO on the Main Board of the SEHK.
- Acted as the Malaysian counsel to a Thai-incorporated holding company in the manufacturing industry (with presence in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia) in respect of its RM400 million IPO and listing on The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET). Drafted the business, risk and regulatory-related sections of the prospectus.
- Acted as the Malaysian counsel to the joint sponsors and joint global coordinators in connection with the issuer’s USD$261 million IPO and listing on The Main Board of SEHK. The listing group is a leading bereavement services provider in Asia.
- Advised various global fund and asset managers on regulatory requirements under Malaysian law in respect of the offering and distribution of investment funds, securities and other capital market products.
- Author, “Company constitution – things to prepare for”, The Sun, Legally Speaking column, August 2017
- Contributor, Guide to Doing Business in Malaysia, Christopher & Lee Ong